Burn Permit FAQs [ Back to department ]

Due to changes in the Cascade County Burn Permits process, the following Question and Answer information will hopefully address any questions you may have about how burn permits are acquired and activated along with explaining how these changes will affect you as a burn permit holder.

Burn permits will be available online at www.BurnPermits.mt.gov starting April 4, 2011 at 8am. A $10.00 fee will be collected. All previously issued burn permits will expire on April 4th, regardless of when they were issued.

Why do we issue permits?

Why are we changing the way burn permits are issued?

Why is there a cost now for my burn permit?

How do I obtain a burn permit?

How do I activate my burn permit?

What responsibilities am I assuming when I light my burn?

What are the possible fines?

When can I legally burn?

Where can I legally burn?

Who can I call if I still have questions?

The Clerk and Recorder's Office is open from 7:00am to 5:00pm, Monday through Friday.

For more information, please visit www.BurnPermits.mt.gov.

How do I...